Head of Embedded Software
About You and The Role
We are looking for an experienced and dynamic individual to join our team as the Head of Embedded Software. In this role, you will lead the team responsible for the software stack from bare-metal through the operating system, firmware, peripheral drivers, core libraries, and the tools/test systems that enable Zipline to develop reliable safety-critical systems at high velocity. This spans from our aircraft, to ground infrastructure, and hardware testers with the goal of ensuring our drones achieve the highest standards of performance and reliability in some of the toughest environments on Earth. As team lead, you will report to the Head of Engineering.
The ideal candidate will have an outstanding technical background, and enjoys leading and growing engineers as they continue to revolutionize the supply chain and logistic industry.
What You'll Do
- Lead, mentor and grow several teams of talented embedded engineers and leaders, providing a clear vision and ambitious goals, all while maintaining a stringent focus on technical excellence.
- Cultivate a high performance team culture that champions a bias to action and strives for radically simple designs.
- Provide technical leadership in system level design by bringing expertise in either Linux, Microcontrollers, or Real-Time Operating Systems.
- Collaborate across teams and disciplines to architect safety-critical systems, which include flight computers, radios, safety systems, communication buses, battery management and motor control systems.
- Establish and enforce best practices for embedded software development, code review, and documentation.
- Set the technical and product vision for the embedded team.
- Work closely with engineering leaders across disciplines around the design of our avionics, our software development lifecycle, our test strategy, to ultimately build a cohesive product.
What You'll Bring
- Demonstrated success as a “lead-of-leads” where you have inspired, managed and grown high-performing engineering teams to deliver embedded software for world first safety-critical products.
- Deep technical expertise in embedded software engineering, with a track record of making impactful architectural-level contributions. We use Rust and C++ onboard, and python for tooling.
- Effective communication and collaboration skills to explain and motivate technical vision, technical challenges, and solutions to fellow engineers and non-engineers alike.