Director of Maintenance & Airworthiness
About You and The Role
We are seeking a dynamic and forward-thinking Deputy Director to join our Maintenance & Airworthiness team. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in aircraft and/or UAS maintenance, a deep understanding of regulatory compliance, and a passion for nurturing the growth and development of our fast-growing maintenance team.
As the Deputy Director, you will be responsible for managing maintenance managers and their associated operations locations in the US. In this role you will play a pivotal role in ensuring the safety, reliability, and compliance of our aircraft fleet. Your leadership and expertise will be instrumental in maintaining our high standards of maintenance, adhering to regulatory requirements, and contributing to the overall success of our operations. Equally important, you will be integral in developing and scaling our fast-growing organization through leadership, mentorship, and continuous development. Finally, you will need to embrace a certain amount of ambiguity that comes with being on the forefront of an industry, staying flexible and resilient while driving a clear path to enable the team’s success.
What You'll Do
- Maintenance Excellence: Oversee and coordinate all aspects of our UAS maintenance, drive accountability and transparency to ensure the team consistently performs at their best and the standard expected from Zipline (routine maintenance, unscheduled events, etc.)
- Leadership, Mentorship & Development: Inspire, mentor, and lead a team of UAS maintenance technicians, fostering a culture of continuous learning, improvement, and personal development specific to drone technology. Create opportunities and clear paths for skill development and career growth.
- Regulatory Compliance: Ensure full compliance with all relevant aviation regulations, including FAA regulations for Part 107 and Part 135 operations, maintenance practices, and airworthiness standards as outlined in our maintenance program.
- Maintenance Planning & Oversight: Oversee the maintenance and inspection activities for our UAS, including routine maintenance, scheduled inspections, and unscheduled repairs. Develop and implement effective maintenance plans, and processes to optimize UAS availability while maintaining safety and compliance.
- Continuous Improvement: Identify opportunities for process improvements, cost-effective maintenance strategies, and technological advancements to enhance operational efficiency.
- Reporting: Present regular reports to senior management on maintenance activities, fleet airworthiness, and compliance status. Ensure transparency of timely communication between the operational sites and company headquarters.
- Emergency Response: Ensure the readiness of emergency response and contingency plans related to maintenance and airworthiness issues.
What You'll Bring
- Bachelor's degree in Aviation Management, Aeronautical Engineering, or related field (preferred).
- FAA Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) certification required.
- In-depth knowledge of Part 107 and Part 135 regulations, FAA guidelines, and airworthiness standards.
- Strong familiarity with maintenance tracking software and systems.
- Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage, and inspire a diverse team.
- Problem-solving mindset and a proactive approach to challenges.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Passion for making a positive impact in the world through innovative technology and solutions.
- Must be eligible to work in the US
- The ability to travel ~25% of the time with some possible periods of more frequent travel.
- Must be able to relocate to South San Francisco, CA or Charlotte, NC