Machine Learning Software Engineer - Meteorology Summer 2024
Zipline is on a mission to transform the way goods move. Our aim is to solve the world’s most urgent and complex access challenges by building the first instant logistics system that serves all humans equally. Leveraging expertise in robotics and autonomy, Zipline designs, builds, and operates a fleet of cutting edge, autonomous delivery drones. We serve tens of millions of people around the world.
Joining Zipline’s Emerging Talent program as an intern is an opportunity to contribute to our promise of building a system that provides equitable access to critical healthcare supplies for millions of people. We believe that internships are more than just opportunities to learn by watching or doing low level tasks. We expect our interns to take on meaningful work that actively contributes to moving Zipline’s mission forward, while learning real-world skills that will serve them in their careers for the long term.
Join us, and build the future of logistics with the best humans around!
About the Weather Team
Weather drives reliability and efficiency. Accurate forecasts ensure that drones only fly in safe weather, and with as little constraint as possible. The weather team is here to understand climatology, develop algorithms, and execute on those algorithms in a production environment. Weather is extremely challenging, and Zipline innovates in this area with practical, but powerful algorithms that unlock operations on a massive scale.
Zipline is at the forefront of a logistics revolution, using autonomous aircraft to deliver just-in-time, lifesaving medical supplies on multiple continents, 7 days a week. We believe access to medical care should not depend on your GPS coordinates. In service of our mission to operate safely at global scale, we’re growing our systems modeling capabilities in weather to expand quickly into new products and locations, with the ultimate goal of delivering essential packages right to your doorstep. Our systems modeling team is looking for a Machine Learning (ML) expert and software engineer who already understands meteorological data sets and challenges or is interested in familiarizing themself with this problem set. This engineer will be responsible for designing, implementing, and supporting ML algorithms used in weather software systems. These tools will enable life-saving flight operations in an ever changing and complex weather environment.
What You'll Do
- Understand weather forecast challenges facing drone operations
- Experiment and design algorithms to help solve these challenges
- Develop software systems to train, test, and maintain ML algorithms
- Work with software engineers to implement operational solutions and APIs based on these forecasting algorithms
What You'll Bring
- Must have at least completed the second year of your undergraduate studies or equivalent. Masters and PhD students are also eligible
- Excitement for working through challenging ML problems, especially with spatial or imagery data sets. Plus for previous experience working with meteorological data
- Ability to independently learn and assess ML methodologies, software frameworks, APIs, systems and architectures
- An interest in discovering the the most pragmatic and performant tools and methods, with a focus on keeping those skills fresh
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work across diverse teams with varying focuses
- Proficient coding skills in Python, with an openness to bring new ideas and languages to the table
What Else You Need to Know
Our internships are full-time positions, in-person at our South San Francisco office. We will host our Summer interns from May to September.
The starting cash range for this role is $36 - 40 / hour. Please note that this is a target, starting cash range for a candidate who meets the minimum qualifications for this role. The final cash pay for this role will depend on a variety of factors, including a specific candidate's experience, qualifications, skills, and working location. The total compensation package for this role may also include: overtime pay; commuter benefits; paid sick time; and more.
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
Zipline is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your point of contact at Zipline know if you require any accommodations throughout your interview process.