Senior Mechanical Test Engineer
Do you want to change the world? Zipline is on a mission to transform the way goods move. Our aim is to solve the world’s most urgent and complex access challenges by building, manufacturing and operating the first instant delivery and logistics system that serves all humans equally, wherever they are. From powering Rwanda’s national blood delivery network and Ghana’s COVID-19 vaccine distribution, to providing on-demand home delivery for Walmart, to enabling healthcare providers to bring care directly to U.S. homes, we are transforming the way things move for businesses, governments and consumers.
The technology is complex but the idea is simple: a teleportation service that delivers what you need, when you need it. Through our technology that includes robotics and autonomy, we are decarbonizing delivery, decreasing road congestion, and reducing fossil fuel consumption and air pollution, while providing equitable access to billions of people and building a more resilient global supply chain.
Join Zipline and help us to make good on our promise to build an equitable and more resilient global supply chain for billions of people.
ABOUT YOU AND THE ROLE
Does quickly developing multiple iterations of systems to test novel components through the extreme environments demanded of aerospace applications sound like the way you want to spend your time? Do you love designing tests for cross-functional interfaces with little information, full ownership, and the responsibility to make it happen? At Zipline our work is intended for the field. Patients are counting on it today--there is no time for aiming low or coming up short. If leveraging your talent to drive full vehicle test systems to fruition with a small but dedicated team at your side sounds like your cup of tea, please read on.
Zipline is at the forefront of a logistics revolution: We design, manufacture, and operate our own fleet of autonomous drones to make deliveries of vital medical supplies to people in need within minutes, 7 days a week.
We are hiring ME Test engineers across three different teams; Ground Systems, Structures, Mechanisms, and Hardware Integration, and System Prototype and Test. We are a hardware engineering organization with Mechanical, Electrical, Embedded Systems and Test Engineering and are responsible for the design of all flight hardware and operations equipment; this includes Safety Systems, Primary Structure, Launcher, Recovery System, Battery Chargers, Power System, Network System and countless other mechanisms critical to the function of the vehicle and ground systems. We are working on a product that can be deployed in hours, integrate seamlessly with our customers, and operate without human intervention while being deployed worldwide at scale.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
As a member of the Test Team you will be responsible for cradle-to-grave design and implementation of systems used to develop and prove concept functionality and key reliability metrics on the Zipline systems. You will be directly responsible for creation of several major test systems, some of which are well defined, and others which will require you to do critical analysis of what our customers want and what it will take to WOW them before embarking upon the design process. To accomplish this you will need to do the following:
- Work with the product design and reliability teams to generate requirements for test systems that accurately capture the intended function of the vehicle while leaving the door open for future automation and high volume capacity.
- Explore and define product edge cases based on data you collect from the field, existing logs, and in anticipation of future use cases and environments.
- Design, build, and maintain critical test systems
- Manage test systems for early stage designs. This will include ruthlessly prioritizing where our efforts must be spent to get the most out of every precious day.
- Provide technical guidance to junior engineers and technicians.Pivot often as we navigate uncertain regulatory space and learn more about what it will take to really wow our customers.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Design for user experience of mechanical test systems. You can develop a machine that accomplishes complex interactions reliably and can be used by anyone with minimal training.
- Strong mechanical engineering fundamentals. You understand the theory behind good design decisions and have a proven track record of executing these designs to make a test system that is more reliable than the product it is testing.
- Cross functional team management experience such that you can balance the needs of structures, aero, embedded, and software engineering teams to create one product that works for all.
- Understand when we can get away with a quick and dirty or scrappy solution and when it is worth our time and money to make investments in the future.
- Must be eligible to work in the US
- Must be able to work in person at Zipline’s South San Francisco headquarters
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
The starting cash range for this role is $130,000 - $200,000. Please note that this is a target, starting cash range for a candidate who meets the minimum qualifications for this role. The final cash pay for this role will depend on a variety of factors, including a specific candidate's experience, qualifications, skills, working location, and projected impact. The total compensation package for this role may also include: equity compensation; discretionary annual or performance bonuses; sales incentives; benefits such as medical, dental and vision insurance; paid time off; and more.
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship, or other characteristics protected by state, federal or local law or our other policies.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!