Senior Mechanical Engineer - Powertrain
ABOUT YOU AND THE ROLE
We are looking for an experienced mechanical design engineer who has specifically designed electric motors, to join out Powertrain team. The Powertrain team is a multi-disciplinary hardware and software team responsible for designing the electric drivetrain at the heart of our life-saving drone delivery service, operating in some of the harshest environments on earth. You will be a part of a small but mighty team responsible for batteries, motors, geartrain, propellers, and all propulsion related components of autonomous delivery aircraft. You’ll be first and foremost an exceptional engineer, excited to help level up the team with your expertise in designing motors.
We’ve already helped make drone delivery a daily feature of medical care in the countries where we operate. As we expand the reach of our service, we are pushing our world-class powertrain to new levels of power, torque, and efficiency to reach even more people. If you are passionate about mechanical design and highly motivated by solving difficult challenges we want to hear from you.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Have design responsibility over the electric motors across Zipline’s operational and next-generation aircraft.
- Solve mechanical design engineering challenges to improve system performance for aerospace-grade mass and reliability.
- Lead the design validation and durability testing campaigns and data analysis for electric motors.
- Build strong cross-functional relationships with vehicle design teams to ensure seamless system integration.
- Uphold the powertrain mechanical design standards and processes.
- Carry designs through to high-volume production; DFM, cost reductions, and outsourcing.
MUST HAVE EXPERIENCE / SKILL SETS
- 6+ years experience of direct product development experience.
- Strong fundamentals in electric motor design.
- Experience with high volume manufacturing processes such as injection molding, stamping, forging, welding, casting, printing, etc.
- Extensive prototyping experience.
- Core skills: GD&T, 3D CAD, 2D Drawings, DFMEA, structural and thermal FEA.
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
The starting cash range for this role is $160,000 - $210,000. Please note that this is a target, starting cash range for a candidate who meets the minimum qualifications for this role. The final cash pay for this role will depend on a variety of factors, including a specific candidate's experience, qualifications, skills, working location, and projected impact. The total compensation package for this role may also include: equity compensation; discretionary annual or performance bonuses; sales incentives; benefits such as medical, dental and vision insurance; paid time off; and more.