Senior Mechanical Engineer - Powertrain
ABOUT YOU AND THE ROLE
We’re looking for a talented and experienced mechanical engineer to join our Powertrain mechanical engineering team.
You will be a part of a small but mighty team and be responsible for batteries, motors, geartrain, propellers, and all components of autonomous delivery aircraft. You’ll be first and foremost an exceptional engineer, excited to help level up the team with your expertise in powertrain.
We’ve already helped make drone delivery a daily feature of medical care in the countries where we operate. As we expand the reach of our service, we are pushing our world-class powertrain to new levels of power, torque, and efficiency to reach even more people. If you are passionate about mechanical design and highly motivated by solving difficult challenges we want to hear from you.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Have design responsibility over one or more of the following areas; motors, gearboxes, propellers, power distribution, etc. across Zipline’s operational and next-generation aircraft.
- Solve mechanical design engineering challenges to improve system performance for aerospace-grade mass and reliability.
- Lead the design validation and durability testing campaigns and data analysis.
- Build strong cross-functional relationships with vehicle design teams to ensure seamless system integration.
- Uphold the powertrain mechanical design standards and processes.
- Carry designs through to high-volume product; DFM, cost reductions, and outsourcing.
MUST HAVE EXPERIENCE / SKILL SETS
- 5+ years experience of direct product development experience.
- Strong fundamentals in one of: batteries, motors, geartrain, propellers, thermal analysis, or power electronics integration.
- Experience with high volume manufacturing processes such as injection molding, stamping, forging, welding, casting, printing, etc.
- Team builder: hiring, coaching, and mentoring high caliber teammates.
- Extensive prototyping experience.
- Core skills: GD&T, 3D CAD, 2D Drawings, DFMEA, structural and thermal FEA.
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
If you’d like to learn more about Zipline and our teams, feel free to check out our Instagram, one of our Reddit AMA’s, or our website!
Something looks off?