Quality/Manufacturing Operations Engineering Intern [Fall 2023]
Zipline is on a mission to transform the way goods move. Our aim is to solve the world’s most urgent and complex access challenges by building the first instant logistics system that serves all humans equally. Leveraging expertise in robotics and autonomy, Zipline designs, builds, and operates a fleet of cutting edge, autonomous delivery drones. We serve tens of millions of people around the world.
Joining Zipline’s Emerging Talent program as an intern is an opportunity to contribute to our promise of building a system that provides equitable access to critical healthcare supplies for millions of people. We believe that internships are more than just opportunities to learn by watching or doing low level tasks. We expect our interns to take on meaningful work that actively contributes to moving Zipline’s mission forward, while learning real-world skills that will serve them in their careers for the long term.
Join us, and build the future of logistics with the best humans around!
About the Zipline Quality Team
Zipline’s quality organization is split into three disciplines; Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (AME), Manufacturing Quality Engineering (MQE), and Supplier Industrialization Engineering (SIE). The organization as a whole is responsible for ensuring the success of Zipline’s manufacturing, operations and supply chain and the products that are produced.
As an AME Intern, you will be focused on designing assembly lines & equipment for Zipline’s Top Level Assemblies (TLAs) that will be manufactured at Zipline's Final Assembly, Test & Pack (FATP) Contract Manufacturers (CMs). This involves working with internal & external cross-functional stakeholders on design for manufacturing & assembly, assembly process and equipment design, assembly line commissioning, validation & continuous improvement to ensure Zipline can continue to serve its customers with better operational efficiency.
As an MQE Intern, you will be focused on the quality and reliability of Zipline’s in-house manufacturing. This involves tracking yield performance, performing root cause analysis and corrective action implementation on assembly and functional test failures, and helping to build a world class manufacturing organization by implementing innovative processes to improve performance during manufacturing and in the field.
As an SIE Intern, the projects you undertake will be focused on the improvement of manufacturing operations & quality at critical Zipline suppliers. This involves working with internal & external cross-functional stakeholders on design for manufacturing & assembly, manufacturing process design & implementation, statistical quality control, and root cause analysis to ensure that Zipline suppliers can meet quality, cost & delivery targets set for them.
What You'll Do
As an AME Intern, you will:
- Conduct DfX (Design for X) discussions with internal & external stakeholders for Zipline TLAs and sub-assemblies
- Lead planning, budgeting, design, procurement, commissioning & validation of Assembly Lines and associated facilities & equipment at Zipline for Product Validation Builds and at Zipline TLA CMs for Mass Production
- Develop & maintain Process Documentation (Manufacturing Process Flow, Process FMEA, Work Instructions, Set Up Check Lists, Training Plans, etc.) throughout the life of a program
- Assist with training operators to run the assembly line
- Provide technical support for plant operations & assist with root cause analysis & corrective actions to troubleshoot production problems as they occur
- Establish requirements for, track, report & review key performance indicators of the Assembly Line for quality, cost, and delivery such as first-pass yield, cost of poor quality, on-time delivery, etc.
- Pilot Continuous Improvement (CI) Projects that seek to improve the performance of the line
As an MQE Intern, you will:
- Perform failure analysis, root causing, and corrective/preventative action implementation
- Take part in on-going optimization of products and process for cost and performance
- Track first pass yield, right first time, and dwell time of products waiting in MRB locations
As an SIE Intern, you will:
- Conduct discussions on DfX (Design for X) with internal & external stakeholders & implement relevant feedback into part designs
- Manage the development & implementation of manufacturing processes & systems to ensure the Supplier’s compliance with all the requirements of the Zipline Approval Process (ZAP)
- Assist the supplier with Root Cause Analysis (RCA)/ Corrective Action & Preventive Action (CAPA) Implementation to ensure quality issues are investigated correctly & necessary actions are taken to prevent the recurrence and occurrence of the issue
- Track, report & review Supplier Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) with Internal (GSM, Finance, etc.) & External (Supplier) Stakeholders to create action plans for systemic improvements
- Pilot Process Improvement Projects at suppliers to improve quality, reduce cost, and improve delivery metrics
What You'll Bring
- Proficiency in 3D CAD Software (NX preferred) & ability to read Engineering Drawings (with GD&T)
- Understanding of traditional & non-traditional manufacturing processes (Machining, Injection Molding, Sheet Metal Stamping, 3D Printing, PCBA Manufacturing, Mechanical or Electromechanical Assembly, etc.)
- Understanding of Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) & Production Part Approval Process (PPAP)
- Understanding of Problem Solving Frameworks (8D, A3, Pareto Analysis, etc.) & RCA/ CAPA Techniques used within these frameworks
- Willingness to work in a super fast-paced environment that is in a constant state of evolution
- Be a student pursuing a(n) graduate/ undergraduate degree in one of the following concentrations: Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Statistics, Mathematics AND have experience designing products or manufacturing processes through 1+ internship(s), or full-time work in one of the following fields: New Product Introduction, Project/ Program Management, Manufacturing, Quality, Supplier Quality/ Industrialization, Metrology, Industrial Engineering, or Strategic Sourcing.
- Have demonstrated excellence in one of the above fields
What Else You Need to Know
The starting cash range for this role is $34.00 - 38.00 / hour. Please note that this is a target, starting cash range for a candidate who meets the minimum qualifications for this role. The final cash pay for this role will depend on a variety of factors, including a specific candidate's experience, qualifications, skills, and working location. The total compensation package for this role may also include: equity compensation; overtime pay; discretionary annual or performance bonuses; sales incentives; benefits such as medical, dental and vision insurance; paid time off; and more.
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
Zipline is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your point of contact at Zipline know if you require any accommodations throughout your interview process.
Something looks off?