Technical Program Manager, Avionics
About You and The Role
The Avionics team is a multi-disciplinary hardware and software team responsible for designing robust avionics systems for our life-saving drone delivery service in some of the harshest environments on Earth. Zipline’s aircraft avionics must be successful in a wide range of challenging real-world climactic and EMI environments. Our team plays a vital role in system architecture - designing for performance and reliability, while minimizing mass and cost. A critical part of the team’s design responsibility is Zipline’s FAA-approved safety system to ensure the safety of employees, customers, and bystanders. Our sophisticated flight systems also require us to build custom solutions with high-performance embedded computing, high-speed communication buses interfacing to sensors, and tightly integrated radio systems.
As the Technical Program Manager for the Avionics team, you will be the focal point for coordinating resources across the electrical, mechanical, and software engineering sub teams working on the Avionics systems. You will work within the team and across engineering to align priorities, coordinate timelines, and lead complex scope, resource, and schedule trades. For those that are deeply excited about leading with influence and representing a global mission, this is an incredible opportunity to leverage your skillset.
What You'll Do
- Manage the Avionics hardware and software roadmaps across programs: balance, drive, and align key features while surfacing gaps and mitigating risks to projects
- Measure and improve development velocity: own engineering timelines, unblock teams, cross-check plans, and streamline cross-functional dependencies
- Engage across the development lifecycle: from architecture reviews, through validation, and into volume production
- Engage across electrical, mechanical, validation, and embedded software domains within Avionics to drive coherent execution across major projects
- Translate and integrate company goals into larger Avionics execution strategy
- Bring the right people together to make critical decisions, quickly
What You'll Bring
- Minimum 3 years of experience as a technical program manager.
- Past success in managing technical projects in fields such as automotive, aerospace, transportation, or medical devices.
- Demonstrated skill in aligning priorities, coordinating timelines, and leading complex scope, resource, and schedule trades.
- Enthusiasm for collaborating in a fast paced, cross-functional environment.
- Clear communication skills and the ability to explain challenges and solutions to fellow engineers and non-engineers alike.
- Must be eligible to work in the US.
- Must be able to work in person at Zipline’s South San Francisco office.
What Else You Need to Know
Something looks off?