Senior Electrical Engineer - Avionics
About You and The Role
The Senior Electrical Engineer will develop avionics for our next generation aircraft. We are looking for an engineer with a strong foundation in board level design and an excellent grasp of electronics development, processes, and tools.
As a Senior Electrical Engineer on the Avionics team, you will be responsible for designing electronics including flight computers, communication systems, safety systems, and more. These components are at the core of a new unmanned aerial system that will enable Zipline’s impact to expand from 100,000 deliveries/year to 100 million across the globe. In addition, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with world class engineers across all disciplines and experience levels. Zipline values personal development highly and encourages an environment of continuous learning and mentorship.
The Avionics team encounters many challenges when designing robust avionics systems to provide life-saving service in some of the harshest environments on Earth. At the start of any project, our team plays a vital role in system architecture, designing for performance, reliability, and fault tolerance, while balancing mass and cost. Included in this is the design of an FAA-approved safety system to ensure the safety of employees, customers, and bystanders. Our sophisticated flight systems also require us to build custom solutions with high performance embedded computing and high speed serial buses. To achieve Zipline’s goal of serving anyone anywhere, all aspects of a design must also be successful in a wide range of real-world environments by being robust against environmental, ESD, and EMI threats. These are just some of the many challenges that make us excited to go to work everyday.
What You'll Do
- Engineer avionics for volume production through a full design cycle including requirements, prototype, schematic capture, layout, and validation.
- Shape the architecture of Zipline’s next generation product, making impactful design decisions daily, while working with a high level of independence.
- Lead trade studies, understand competing design priorities, and provide direction and clarity for burning down risk.
- Proactively seek out opportunities for improvement in system, vehicle, and component level design.
- Collaborate cross-functionally in all stages of development, including:
- Architecture: fault tolerance, power, mass, thermals
- Detailed Design: schematic capture, PCB layout, system integration, validation
- Production: quality, failure analysis, manufacturing, cost
What You'll Bring
- A degree in Electrical Engineering, Embedded Hardware Engineering or equivalent practical experience.
- Minimum 5 years of design experience including: circuit design, schematic capture, PCB layout, packaging, integration, cost reduction, sourcing and transitioning a product to production.
- Past success developing electronics for critical systems in fields such as aerospace, transportation, or medical devices.
- Design experience with mixed-signal, high-speed digital, SoM compute integration, high-speed serial busses, and electro-magnetic compatibility.
- Enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced, collaborative, cross-functional environment.
- Clear communication skills and the ability to explain technical challenges to both fellow engineers and non-engineers alike.
- Must be eligible to work in the US.
- Must be able to work at Zipline’s South San Francisco office.
What Else You Need to Know
Something looks off?