Head of Security, Africa
Do you want to change the world? Zipline is on a mission to transform the way goods move. Our aim is to solve the world’s most urgent and complex access challenges by building, manufacturing and operating the first instant delivery and logistics system that serves all humans equally, wherever they are. From powering Rwanda’s national blood delivery network and Ghana’s COVID-19 vaccine distribution, to providing on-demand home delivery for Walmart, to enabling healthcare providers to bring care directly to U.S. homes, we are transforming the way things move for businesses, governments and consumers. The technology is complex but the idea is simple: a teleportation service that delivers what you need, when you need it. Through our technology that includes robotics and autonomy, we are decarbonizing delivery, decreasing road congestion, and reducing fossil fuel consumption and air pollution, while providing equitable access to billions of people and building a more resilient global supply chain.Join Zipline and help us to make good on our promise to build an equitable and more resilient global supply chain for billions of people.
About You and The Role
Does ensuring the safety of the team, medical warehouses, and premises for an operation that ensures critical medical products get to health facilities all over Africa get you excited? Are you a proactive security professional who enjoys staying on top of the latest intelligence and technology? If so, read on.
Zipline believes access to medical care should not depend on your GPS coordinates. We are at the forefront of a logistics revolution, using autonomous aircraft to deliver just-in-time, lifesaving medical supplies on 3 continents around the world right now, 7 days a week. Are you interested in building a system that 200 million people will depend on with their lives?
This will not be a glamorous job. It will be hard work. But the impact you can make on what healthcare access looks like in Africa is unparalleled.
What You'll Do
- Support the achievement of company operational targets with the strict minimum number of security incidents.
- Organize, train and supervise the teams of Security Guards, with the assistance of his Security Supervisors, in order to ensure a peaceful operation at all times.
- Maintain, in cooperation with facilities management, a fleet of vehicles commensurate to the needs of the task, and issue documented recommendations with regards to additional or different equipment requirements.
- Keeps a constant working relationship with local law enforcement agencies (police, MoPol, Army) to get their full support if the need arises.
- Keep an updated planning of all Security activities, including training, patrols, staff hires and layoffs, to keep the Security Department optimally dimensioned with the Company operations.
- Report regularly to Leadership about past, ongoing and planned activities, and flag all existing or potential issues, with proposed solutions.
- Support and assist Country operation teams in the implementation of all regulatory and statutory recommendations bothering on safety of people and equipment.
- Liaison with other security agencies to achieve the desired protection of lives and properties.
- To conduct regular security inspection.
- Provide security intelligence service.
- Monitoring staff, visitors and vendors in the company premises to ensure orderliness.
- Strictly abide to the highest standards in Security Management, in full compliance with:
- Handbook on the Use of Security Forces in Private Sector Projects
- Risk Assessments
- Security Management Plans
- Contracting with Private Security
- Engaging with Public Security Forces
- IFC Performance Standards 4 guidelines:
- Assist with reporting against targets and KPIs to leadership to assess and improve business performance.
What You'll Bring
- Strong ability in producing documentation and plans to a high standard
- Experience in a security management / advisory role for a large multi-site operation, with a minimum of ten years experience.
- Experience in developing project security plans, risk registers and emergency response plans
- A demonstrated ability to develop recommendations relating to physical security design
- Experience of conducting vulnerability assessments of sites
- A record of producing risk and threat assessments for locations in Africa
- An ability to work closely with clients to understand the implications of issues identified in the course of planning / delivery and provide constructive input towards their identification of solutions
- The right candidate will be a proactive team player, able to maintain a positive attitude under pressure and collegiate relationships with clients and contractors
- Ability to travel quite frequently (around 40%) between our different distribution centers and stakeholders around Africa.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.