Sr. Manager, Merchandise Planner
Studs is a category-defining ear piercing and earring brand named one of “the 10 most innovative companies in retail for 2023” by Fast Company. Studs connects ear piercing with aftercare and earring shopping to create an end-to-end Earscaping® experience. We offer a better retail and digital experience that prioritizes safety and expertise in a cool, fun and welcoming environment, along with a wide earring assortment—all at an accessible price point.
Based in NYC, the Director of Merchandising & Planning will report to the SVP of Merchandising and will oversee our planning and allocation functions. They will be responsible for buying the right amount of the right product and distributing the appropriate inventory across the Studs channel matrix. They will work to coordinate new product launches based upon customer demand, current and future trends and work cross functionally to optimize calendar planning for omni channel initatives. This role will collaborate closely with Production, Marketing, and Operations teams and will manage the merchandising assistant role.
Salary Range: $125,000-$135,000, with equity
Planning and Forecasting:
- Develop and lead by door Open-to-Buy (OTB) ensuring alignment with topline financial goals.
- Lead preseason planning activities, informing SKU counts based on historical data and market trends.
- Communicate goals for evergreen product launches, evaluating the success and life cycle of each SKU.
- Develop and implement effective allocation strategies based on sales trends and regional demand.
- Own the end-to-end process of merchandise transfers, ensuring timely and accurate movement between stores and distribution centers.
- Implement inventory optimization strategies to prevent overstock or stockouts, enhancing overall supply chain efficiency.
- Collaborate closely with Retail Operations to ensure operational excellence in inventory management.
- Oversee reorders of fashion and piercing items, maintaining alignment with receipt budgets.
- Own the planning, execution, and margin maintenance of omnichannel markdowns.
Reporting and Analysis
- Take charge of selecting and implementing a planning system, ensuring seamless integration into daily operations.
- Provide training to teams on a use-case basis to maximize system utilization.
- Partner with Business Intelligence (BI) to develop new reporting for tracking and identifying seasonal trends.
Pricing and Profit Standardization:
- Own pricing strategies and profit standardization for both supply chain and promotional price models.
- Conduct ongoing competitive analysis to ensure that the company's pricing remains competitive in the market.
- Establish guidelines for pricing adjustments based on factors such as product life cycle, demand patterns, and market dynamics.
- Adjust promotional strategies as needed to address emerging trends and capitalize on opportunities.
- 5+ years of experience
- Driven, creative problem solver that consistently acts with integrity and speaks up
- Owner’s mindset, with the ability to approach feedback and problems with a positive attitude.
- Bachelor's degree in Merchandising, Planning, or related field.
- Proven experience in merchandise planning, allocation, and transfers.
- Strong analytical and forecasting skills.
- Familiarity with planning systems and the ability to lead implementation.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
Benefits & Perks
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance, as well as 401k
- Flexible Work Environment (3 days in office, 2 days work from home)
- 4 weeks accrued Paid Time Off, 7 days accrued Sick Time, 11 paid holidays, and 4 Quarterly Wellness Days (where the whole team takes time off together to recharge)
- Three months of paid Parental Leave (biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible)
- A paid sabbatical after four years of full-time service
- Exclusive employee piercing and jewelry discounts (plus discounts for friends and family)