Director, Jewelry Product Development & Production
Studs is a category-defining ear piercing and earring brand named one of “the 10 most innovative companies in retail for 2023” by Fast Company. Studs connects ear piercing with aftercare and earring shopping to create an end-to-end Earscaping® experience. We offer a better retail and digital experience that prioritizes safety and expertise in a cool, fun and welcoming environment, along with a wide earring assortment—all at an accessible price point.
Based in New York, NY, the Director of Product Development & Production will lead Studs’ jewelry expansion functions as we navigate an expanding retail footprint. This multifaceted role involves strategic leadership across the entire spectrum of jewelry creation, from concept to production with strong emphasis on vendor relationships. In particular, the role will be responsible for developing and executing strategies for resource planning & lead time forecasting while activating cost optimizing strategies for our evolving product assortment. Additionally, they will play a crucial role in enhancing the overall customer experience through effective quality control of our jewelry production standards.
Salary Range: $175,000-$190,000, with equity
- Product Development Leadership & Oversight: Lead the jewelry product development team in translating design concepts into viable production plans.
- Manage end to end jewelry production processes, ensuring quality, efficiency, and timely delivery.
- Drive innovation to ensure our collections align with market trends and customer preferences by implementing solutions to maintain a competitive edge
- Vendor Relationships: Collaborate with suppliers to negotiate favorable terms, ensure timely product deliveries, and maintain strong partnerships.
- Negotiate with suppliers to secure favorable terms, pricing, aligned to manufacturing contracts.
- Compliance & Quality Control: Maintain a systematic and vigilant approach ensuring products received maintain our quality standards.
- Factory Audit & Inspection: Schedule and maintain regular inspections as well corrective actions & product resolutions for best-in-class supply chain standards
- Continuous Monitoring & Feedback: Embracing a culture of continuous improvement involving seeking customer feedback, analyzing performance metrics, and identifying opportunities to enhance quality control procedures over time.
- Strategic Planning: Collaborate seamlessly with design, marketing, sales and finance teams to integrate product development and production plans with overall business goals.
- Develop and manage budgets by identifying opportunities for operational efficiencies utilizing data driven insights to shape plans.
- Identify opportunities for cost savings and operation efficiencies.
- 7+ years of relevant work experience in retail, ecommerce or a related industry with a track record in leadership positions.
- Proven experience in a leadership role in jewelry product development and production.
- Exceptional strategic thinking and the ability to develop and execute strategies aligned with overall business goals.
- Solid understanding of financial principles, budget management, and the ability to impact the bottom line positively.
- Proficiency in data analysis, sales forecasting, and market trend analysis. The ability to make data driven decisions is essential.
- Proven leadership experience, including the ability to lead and inspire cross functional teams. Experience in managing and developing high performing teams is required.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, to effectively convey strategies, negotiate with suppliers, and collaborate with internal teams.
- The ability to thrive in a dynamic and fast paced environment with a willingness to adapt to strategies based on evolving business conditions
- Driven, creative problem solver that consistently acts with integrity and speaks up
- Owner’s mindset, with the ability to approach feedback and problems with a positive attitude.
Benefits & Perks
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance, as well as 401k
- Flexible Work Environment (3 days in office, 2 days work from home)
- 4 weeks accrued Paid Time Off, 7 days accrued Sick Time, 11 paid holidays, and 4 Quarterly Wellness Days (where the whole team takes time off together to recharge)
- Three months of paid Parental Leave (biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible)
- A paid sabbatical after four years of full-time service
- Exclusive employee piercing and jewelry discounts (plus discounts for friends and family)