VP of Finance
Accounting & Finance
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2022
About Small Door
Small Door is membership-based veterinary care designed with human standards that is better for pets, pet parents, and veterinarians alike. We designed and delivered a reimagined veterinary experience via a membership that includes exceptional care, 24/7 telemedicine, and transparent pricing - delivered with modern hospitality in spaces designed by animal experts to be stress-free. We opened our flagship location in Manhattan's West Village in 2020, followed by multiple practices in the city and Brooklyn. Small Door continues to scale in 2022 by opening additional NYC locations and in markets across the northeast including Boston and Washington DC.
This is the fifth company that Small Door’s founders have been involved in building. In building Small Door, they partnered with the people responsible for beloved consumer experiences like Warby Parker and Sweetgreen, in addition to healthcare innovators such as One Medical, CityMD and Flatiron Health. Small Door has raised $40 million from Lerer Hippeau, Primary Ventures, Brand Foundry, Toba Capital, and Pentland Group. The broader management team brings experience from JustWorks, Casper, One Medical, Soulcycle, Warby Parker, Sweetgreen, The Wing, Gilt Groupe, Lightspeed, and Outbrain.
The Vice President, Finance will be accountable for growing and leading the finance & accounting function to support the growth of the business, inclusive of managing the FP&A and Accounting teams. This includes the development and execution of financial plans to support an expansion strategy; developing metrics and KPIs to monitor and optimize that strategy; the ongoing development and monitoring of financial controls designed to preserve company assets and report accurate financial results; the management of the accounting function, managing: accounting, tax, and treasury functions; and the financial and risk management operations of the clinics. The ideal candidate will ensure strong financial operational effectiveness and will play a role in capital-raising programs and transactions associated with our various expansion initiatives. Additionally, the VP, Finance will help us ensure increased transparency for unit-level accounting and performance, as well as help drive blended profitability across all of our practices in the coming year.
We have a phenomenal foundation and are now entering the next phase of growth. This role will be headquartered in NYC and report to Co-Founder and President, Florent Peyre.
What you'll do
- Develop a World-Class Finance Function: The VP, Finance will lead the charge in continuing to grow and optimize the Finance and Accounting team. This includes recruiting, onboarding and retaining best-in-class talent, ensuring satisfaction and engagement throughout the department grounded in strong culture, ongoing development and overall excellence across the team.
- Build a Strategic Finance Engine: The VP, Finance will partner closely with the President & CEO and other key leaders to build out the strategic finance competency within the organization incorporating best in class tools and processes tailored to Small Door’s business. They will drive and manage the budget process and guide key financial decision making for the business throughout the year.
- Drive Practice Level Growth: The VP, Finance will partner with Executive leadership in thinking through workforce planning and headcount growth management at the practice level, optimizing personnel spend, helping to manage the complexity of an hourly workforce: overtime tracking, attendance, and payroll strategy. They will also create financial frameworks for: inventory optimization, service and membership revenue reporting and KPIs, and practice level discretionary budgets to achieve target profitability.
- Partner with our Practices and our Functional Leaders to Define and Drive Improved Data, Reporting and Bottom-Line Performance: The VP, Finance will partner with Operations, Medical, Product + Technology, and Marketing leadership to identify, refine and implement best-in-class reporting packages to ensure the business is armed with the required tools and levers to monitor, drive and improve the financial performance of the business. The VP, Finance will maintain a keen eye on driving improvements to the bottom-line, particularly at unit level. The VP, Finance will participate heavily in the creation and management of a long-term strategic blueprint for the business, inclusive of business and growth forecasting, capital requirements for human-capital and physical expansion, valuation implications of key business decisions, etc.
- Investor, Banking and Other Relevant Relations: The VP, Finance will help develop all key reporting, financial updates, business commentary, BOD packages, etc. In addition, VP, Finance will drive the internal preparation and readiness around potential future financial transactions. The VP, Finance will maintain outstanding banking relationships and strategic alliances with debt partners, vendors and business partners.
Who you are
- 8+ years of relevant work experience in leading FP&A or finance within high-growth companies;
- Experience in building and managing a finance and accounting team, and scaling the finance function;
- Experience in driving favorable business outcomes through the development of KPIs, budgets, forecasting tools, strategic plans, etc;
- Experience driving four-wall profitability with ability to create KPIs and levers to report, drive, & increase;
- Experience partnering with cross-functional stakeholders to drive results;
- Multi-unit financial management experience;
- Strong financial modeling skills are essential. The candidate should be an expert in Microsoft Excel and ideally Netsuite or similar scale accounting systems;
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting principles and concepts;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills (content creation for decks, dashboards, etc.);
- Knowledge of BI solutions is strongly preferred, with proficiency for Looker a plus;
- BA/BS degree in finance, accounting or related discipline required. MBA, CPA and/or experience in an analyst program helpful;
- Experience with complex company structures is a plus (intercos, MSAs between different entities, consolidation experience);
- Healthcare / Veterinary experience is a plus.
What you'll get
- Competitive salary, $180,000-$240,000 annually;
- Equity ownership;
- Medical, dental + vision insurance;
- 401K (plus 4% company match);
- Upward mobility and growth opportunities
- Rare opportunity to work side-by-side with founders of a growing business;
- Generous paid-time-off, parental leave, and company-wide holidays;
- CitiBike membership, HealthAdvocate membership, One Medical membership, WageWorks commuter benefits, subsidized gym membership;
- Discounted veterinary care for your loved ones;
- Growth opportunities;
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you;
- A collaborative family of people who live our core values and have your back.
Come join Small Door!
Small Door is proudly a public benefit corporation and a certified B Corp. We are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. We strive to build a culture where employees can be their fullest selves and their individual contributions are valued.
Folx who are queer, trans, non-binary, Black, Indigenous, people of color, disabled, parents, are/have been system-impacted, are immigrants, and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression and/or are underrepresented in the industry are encouraged to apply.
Small Door requires all employees to be fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19. We will consider requests for reasonable accommodation based on disability and/or religious beliefs on an individualized basis.
See more open positions at Small Door
Something looks off?