Vice President, Labor & Employment
Role X You
VICE Media Group (“VMG”) is hiring for a Vice President, Labor & Employment. This role will be based in Brooklyn, NY . You will report to our SVP, Business & Legal Affairs, Global Employment. This role is truly global in scope as VMG currently operates across North America, EMEA and APAC. You will provide global advice and counseling on labor and employment issues, as well as litigation management, throughout all of our regions. No one workday is ever the same at VMG, and so while this job description captures some of the responsibilities that encompass this role, it is impossible to capture everything! Given the global nature of the role, you will at times be expected to work hours outside of the normal business day (e.g., early mornings or late evenings) to provide support to international markets.
- Advise on employment law matters globally, working closely with the human resources team, external counsel and the wider legal team throughout all of our areas of the world.
- Counsel internal clients globally on a range of issues, including investigations, performance management, internal restructurings, accommodations, leaves of absence, COVID-compliance, employee relations, wage and hour and union issues.
- Draft agreements, including severance agreements, executive employment agreements, and other contracts and forms.
- Provide legal training within the company to ensure compliance with legal, regulatory and contractual obligations.
- Update templates, forms, and maintain policies based on regular legislative changes.
- Assist in pre-litigation activities, including working with outside counsel to develop defense strategies, fact gathering with internal clients, and ultimately responding to threatened litigation.
- Manage union and guild issues, including responding to grievances, advising on CBA interpretation, and assisting the business with compliance-related questions.
- A Juris Doctor degree from an ABA-accredited law school and strong academic credentials.
- Admission to NY state bar, in good standing, or the ability to register as in-house counsel.
- Between 3-5 years of substantial (US and international) employment legal experience gained at a law firm, government agency, and/or in-house legal department.
- Deep understanding of employment law principles, with the ability to advise on a range of issues and provide on-the-spot advice, where necessary.
- Ability to work independently and with a large degree of autonomy.
- Strong communication skills and an ability to explain legal matters clearly for both lawyers and non-lawyers.
- Highly organized, detail oriented and self-motivated.
We’d love if you had these
- Experience working with labor unions and/or works councils.
- California and international (non-US) labor and employment experience.
From a career perspective the opportunity to work as a lawyer for VICE is transformative. The experience you gain in this company in even a short space of time will be unrivaled. Our workload is diverse, the learning curve is steep, and we work hard. But you will never be bored, and you will be part of a really close-knit and fun team. If you match the criteria above we look forward to hearing from you.
Working at VICE:
We want to find people who believe in our mission and goals and feel inspired to grow while they’re here, rather than someone who checks the boxes but isn’t invested. We encourage you to apply and show us what you’ve got.
VICE Media Group prioritizes the voices, ideas and people that other media companies miss. We believe that innovation is a direct result of diverse, inclusive cultures so we don’t just “tolerate” differences, we celebrate it and see it as essential to our staff, culture, and business. To learn more read the VICE Guide to VICE.
If you require reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know by contacting Accommodations@vice.com. We will work together to best meet your needs.
VICE Media Group is not partnering with agencies nor accepts unsolicited resumes and will not be responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes and/or applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
VICE Media (VICE.com, VICE Studios, VICE TV, Virtue, VICE News, Refinery29, PULSE Films, i-D) is an equal opportunity employer. We view everyone as an individual, and we understand that inclusion is more than just diversity – it’s about belonging. We celebrate the fact that everyone is unique, and that’s what makes us so good at what we do. We pride ourselves on being a company that embraces difference and truly represents the global clients we work with.
This position is not eligible to be performed in Colorado.
Candidates, please note that if you are contacted by anyone with an email other than @vice.com purporting to be recruiting on behalf of Vice Media, it is not legitimate, and you should not engage.
The salary range is subject to change and may be amended in the future. Experience, education, skills, and other factors are considered when determining the salary offered.
Pay Range Details:
New York/California: 230,000 - 250,000 USD