Sr. DevOps Engineer
Hungryroot is the only grocery and recipe delivery service designed to make healthy eating simple, personal, and sustainable. Our mission is to help people feel their best by making it easier to shop for, cook and love healthy foods. By leveraging AI to create a truly personalized experience, we save customers time and worry, all while introducing them to new foods and helping them achieve their health objectives.
People are at the center of everything we do here at Hungryroot. We are a remote-first company with a hub office in NYC. It’s up to you how and where you want to work; we care about outcomes and your contribution to our company. Our work, our decisions, and our culture are deeply-rooted in the values of being positive, proactive, and transparent. We’re incredibly proud of our team and hope that you’ll join us!
About the Role
We’re looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer to be a part of our growing Technology team. You will be responsible for securing, extending and maintaining our AWS infrastructure, driving IaC and implementing novel solutions using AWS services or custom scripts, improving our deployment pipelines, expanding monitoring and responding to production incidents.
This role will join Hungryroot’s Technology team and you’ll report directly to our Chief Technology Officer. In this critical role you will be the in-house expert in all things infrastructure-related and actively drive to make things better every day for the team, fellow engineers, the company and for our customers. If you want to help us change how people grocery shop and eat for the better, we’d love for you to apply!
- Design, implement, and maintain Infrastructure as Code using tools such as Terraform to automate the provisioning and management of AWS resources. Develop a balanced and practical approach to addressing concerns around security, privacy, reliability and performance.
- Collaborate with devs to develop and optimize CI/CD pipelines leveraging tools like Github Actions to enable efficient and reliable software delivery. Work closely with development, QA, and other cross-functional teams to ensure smooth deployment processes.
- Extend and improve our monitoring and alerting, utilizing Datadog, AWS CloudWatch, and similar tools to ensure proactive issue detection and resolution. Troubleshoot and resolve complex infrastructure and deployment issues quickly and effectively.
- Provision relevant critical engineering related user accounts and permissions (e.g. Okta, AWS, Github). Work with the wider engineering teams to maintain a secure and compliant infrastructure while implementing best practices for access control and ensure data security.
- Architect and maintain high-availability solutions, including load balancing, auto-scaling, and failover strategies to ensure system reliability.
- Continuously optimize infrastructure for cost efficiency, resource utilization, and performance improvements.
- Maintain comprehensive documentation of infrastructure and configurations to facilitate knowledge sharing and best practices.
- 5+ years of experience working as a full-time dev-ops engineer.
- 5+ years of experience with AWS in a production environment. Proficiency in AWS Organization Concepts (OUs, SCPs, Control Tower), networking concepts (VPC, TGW, SG, etc) and commonly used application services (ECS, ELB, EC2, S3, CloudFront, CloudWatch, Route53, WAF)
- Strong expertise in Infrastructure as Code (IaC) and CI/CD pipelines. 3 yrs of production Terraform experience required.
- Proficiency in writing custom code/script to solve practical problems in the course of day-to-day DevOps work.
- Experience with production monitoring and support.
Nice to Have
- Expert in Linux (we use Ubuntu, but experience any distro counts).
- Experience with common web application infrastructure, such as Nginx
- Experience with common security-related measures and tasks such as VPN, Firewall, DDOS mitigation
- Experience with DataDog
- Experience with multi-account AWS setup
- Experience with Github Actions
- Experience with Python
Perks & Benefits
- Remote-first: work from home, work from our NYC office, work from anywhere in the US. You decide!
- Equity stake
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Universal paid parental leave
- Monthly Hungryroot credit for delicious, healthy groceries
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, and life insurance
- Wellbeing benefits including One Medical, Spring Health, LiveHealth, Rightway care concierge, and more
- A work from home stipend to support your initial home-office setup
Our mission to help make healthy eating easy, accessible, and joyful is better served by a diverse workplace. We are a proud Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building an inclusive workplace. We have zero-tolerance for harassment or discrimination. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected class.