Engineering Manager (Wealth)
Lead the technical charge for Banking, Investing, and Taxes at NerdWallet. If you are motivated by the opportunity to deliver business and consumer value in a fast-paced environment, while guiding a high-energy team to deliver world-class customer experiences, this is the role for you. Successful candidates will be able to share their experience building and mentoring accomplished engineering teams, being hands-on in code, helping guide architecture discussions, promoting extreme ownership of systems and outcomes, developing technical leaders, and empowering and up-leveling engineers.
We are an agile team practicing Sprints and indexing on continuous improvement, iteration, and delivery. As an Engineering Manager, we will look to you to maintain the high quality of our deliveries and to engage the team in leading the outcomes of their work.
If you were here 6 months ago, you might have:
- Led the charge on high-impact changes to the Banking and Investing shopping experiences, driving increased user engagement, conversions and registrations
- Spearheaded the development of a game-changing tax software offering for NW registered users
- Championed the implementation and refinement of observability in our systems, giving us increased visibility and control
- Masterminded the migration of our remaining codebase to NextJS, boosting performance and developer productivity
- Streamlined our tech stack by sunsetting legacy code and cleaning up our ecosystem, fostering focus and accelerating velocity
- Collaborated with your empowered and engaged engineering team to implement modern CI/CD pipelines, further solidifying our tech infrastructure
- Continuously fueled our hyper-growth culture with innovative ideas, both your own and those nurtured within the team you inspire and empower
Where you can make an impact:
Cultivate and Empower a Diverse Team:
- Guide and mentor a dynamic team of 4 full-time engineers and 4 contractors, fostering their growth and development while respecting their unique working styles
- Create a space for open communication, collaboration, and ownership, empowering your team to tackle challenges and deliver impactful results
Drive High-Impact Projects:
- Partner closely with the product manager to prioritize and execute projects with clear business value
- Ensure agile delivery of features and initiatives, meeting both speed and quality standards
- Advocate for your team's needs and proactively manage dependencies to keep projects on track
Lead Technical Execution:
- Own the technical direction of your systems, selecting and implementing the right solutions to maximize business value
- Maintain a balance between innovation and reliability, ensuring ongoing system health and scalability
- Champion best practices and technical debt reduction to future-proof your team's work
Collaborate and Align:
- Build strong relationships with engineering leadership, staff and senior engineers to contribute to the overall engineering roadmap.
- Proactively participate in cross-functional discussions and decision-making, aligning your team's work with strategic goals.
- Own and actively manage the technical roadmap for your systems, seeking guidance and integrating seamlessly with the broader strategic direction.
- Consumer focused. Energized to empower users with smart financial decisions and propel them toward a brighter financial future.
- Not afraid to fail. Biased to action, you learn from mistakes, incorporate them into how we think in the future, and iterate. We take informed risks and chances, they often work, sometimes they don’t.
- Aware that “fast” and “quality” are not mutually exclusive. We can deliver high quality, well engineered code fast. You do not cut quality first to meet timelines, you often thoughtfully solve for both
- Interested in being a mentor and a teacher to make those around you better. No one is perfect. You believe that together we are more than the sum of our parts and expect others to help you grow and learn too
- A strong strategic translator. You can bridge the gap between technical expertise and business conversations. You articulate complex concepts in ways that resonate with non-technical partners, ensuring alignment and shared value.
- Communicative and collaborative. You are able to work effectively with teammates across development, product, design, business development and performance marketing to build product features
- Organized and understand agile project management philosophies such as WIP, critical path, iterating, shrinking cycle times, and getting value from an MVP delivery early
We recognize not everyone will meet all of the criteria. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- 8+ years of experience within the software engineering industry, cumulatively as an IC and engineering manager
- 1+ years managing engineers
- 2+ years serving as a technical lead
- Experience engaging in knowledgable discussions about systems architecture, data flows, and data structures
- Experience working on a consumer facing website
- Experience in scrum and sprint processes
- Familiarity with AWS, Kubernetes, NextJS, Typescript and GraphQL
- Solid skills in React, Node and Postgres is preferred
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
Work Hard, Stay Balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- Industry-leading medical, dental, and vision health care plans for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 13 holidays + 4 Mental Health Days Off
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Financial wellness, guidance, and unlimited access to a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) through Northstar
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA Plan with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga, and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend, Cell Phone Stipend, and Wifi Stipend
Have Some Fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours, and team events across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- Work from home equipment stipend and co-working space subsidy
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
- Commuting stipend
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here.
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Base pay offered may vary within the posted range based on several factors, including but not limited to education, job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and location.