Corporate Development & Strategy Senior Associate
NerdWallet is looking to hire a Senior Associate on the Corporate Development & Strategy team.
We are a small, highly-leveraged group that develops informed positions on the questions that matter most to the long-term value of NerdWallet. We focus on aggressively scaling the business via build, buy and partner activities.
As a member of our small-but-mighty team, you’ll work closely with senior leadership to support sourcing, evaluating, structuring, and implementing impactful m&a, strategic partnership, and “build” opportunities. Further, you’ll have the opportunity to become an authority on our business while partnering with cross-functional team members on the organization’s top strategic initiatives.
This is a unique opportunity to be a core member of a low-ego, high-impact team, and requires someone who is highly structured, scrappy, has strong financial modeling and valuation skills, and the ability to work fluidly across multiple high-priority initiatives.
Where you can make an impact:
- Support the M&A transaction process from end-to-end, including deal sourcing, financial and valuation assessment, due diligence, and integration activities.
- Directly contribute to the growth of NerdWallet via new verticals, new geographies, deepening user engagement, and other strategic priorities for the organization.
- Coach junior members on all aspects of detailed financial models and analysis that will be used to assess transaction opportunities, target valuations, and synergy recognition.
- Become an expert in our domain: work cross-functionally with senior leaders to shape and implement company strategy through opportunity assessment, market research, and competitive analysis.
- Contribute to enhancing the corporate development & strategy function by identifying and building net-new processes to drive efficient outcomes.
- Informed Risk Taking - Passionate about consumers and the internet technologies that serve them: You have a strong focus on user needs and an intellectual curiosity about the products and capabilities that help to meet them.
- Drivers Before Solutions - You possess a keen ability to identify key business drivers and are eager to diligently understand how they inform the bigger picture (rather than jumping to conclusions).
- Open, Candid, and Constructive - A strong communicator. You work hard to ensure clear communication lines across your direct team as well as cross functional partners. Being able to provide, and receive, candid feedback will help you establish relationships and overcome roadblocks faster.
- Ownership - Structured, thoughtful and analytical. You use frameworks, data, and analytical tools to help structure the team’s thinking, facilitate alignment across multiple senior stakeholders, and reach insightful, practical answers to challenging and ambiguous problems.
- Relentless Self Improvement - Eager to learn. Willing to independently learn common tools like Looker and dig into new problems with relish.
We recognize not everyone will meet all of the criteria. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- 6+ years of experience (or 4+ with an MBA) in investment banking, venture capital, private equity, or corporate development; prior experience with driving buy-side M&A transactions end-to-end at a growth stage technology company is a plus.
- Excellent project management, analytical, and modeling skills, combined with a practical, quantifiable and structured approach to problem solving.
- Ability to partner with internal executives and external leaders and communicate with a solutions-first approach.
- Ability to think creatively and critically and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and often ambiguous work environment.
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
Work Hard, Stay Balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- Industry-leading medical, dental, and vision health care plans for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 13 holidays + 4 Mental Health Days Off
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Financial wellness, guidance, and unlimited access to a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) through Northstar
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA Plan with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga, and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend, Cell Phone Stipend, and Wifi Stipend
Have Some Fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours, and team events across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- Work from home equipment stipend and co-working space subsidy
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
- Commuting stipend
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
If you are based in California, we encourage you to read this important information for California residents linked here.
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Base pay offered may vary within the posted range based on several factors, including but not limited to education, job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and location.