Chicago, IL, USA
Posted on Friday, February 9, 2024
Hey there, welcome to Foxtrot.
We’re the digitally-native evolution of the corner store—the one-stop-shop for those seeking thoughtful food experiences that are a reflection of themselves and their city. We offer a handpicked curation of daily essentials in-store and delivered in as little as 30 minutes, via our app and website.
Alongside our investors like Almanac Insights, Momofuku founder David Chang, Sweetgreen co-founder/co-chief executive officer Nicolas Jammet, and most recently D1 Capital Partners, we’re building an omni-channel brand that seamlessly marries e-commerce delivery, proprietary inventory technology, and the feel-good community of neighborhood stores.
Our storefronts offer the most-loved aspects of the neighborhood: beautifully designed interiors that wrap you in the welcoming aroma of locally-sourced coffee, comfortable lounge areas to work and relax in, and chef-prepared meals to snack on throughout the day. And all in a space that joins mindful people, brands, and goods to create a community of discovery and joy. And our swift app and online store further highlight the Foxtrot experience, delivering a new kind of convenience that brings the store straight to your door.
Since launching in 2013, we now operate in Chicago, DC, Dallas, and Austin, rapidly scaling nationwide.
About the Role:
In the broadest terms, a Category Manager is responsible for every aspect of the retailing of a group of products, from discovery through a customer’s purchase.
The overall responsibility of the Category Manager is to optimize sales for their specific category across our fleet of stores at Outfox Hospitality, the parent company for Foxtrot Market and Dom’s Kitchen and Market. These are two trailblazing retailers with a shared vision to redefine food shopping and dining for the local communities we serve. This Category Manager must be able to maintain a productive relationship externally with our partners & vendors, and internally with our retail operations, legal and other support functions, while also ensuring they’re keeping pulse with trends, customer demand and engagement.
Ultimately, within this role, the Category Manager will drive sales, find creative solutions to complex retail challenges & manage category purchasing. Specifically, that will include:
- Ensure we offer the right products at the right time for the right price.
- Spend time exploring new trends, opportunities, products and quality, unique makers within the category.
- Make recommendations for category products.
- Analyze item assortment, competition’s impact on the category, recommend ways to grow market share.
- Category Manager will be responsible for analyzing & setting competitive pricing points and adjusting the pricing to increase sales and clear out stagnant items from inventory. Successful marketing of a product or product line requires the right formula which includes pricing and availability, balanced with consumer demand.
- Influence the design of seasonal displays and other visual merchandising plans.
- Manage inventory, and effectively plan and forecast to maximize profitability.
- Create trend forecasts and implement sales plans.
- Financial analysis as a key planning responsibility.
- Analyze category performance across a variety of indicators, such as sales, gross profit, mark-on, markdowns, and market share.
Education & Engagement:
- Work alongside the Marketing team to develop content, such as press releases or social media series.
- Identify in-store event opportunities, in partnership with vendors.
Requirements & Skills:
- 21+ years of age or older is a requirement, with the ability to apply strong, sound judgment.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, retailing, management, sales, or marketing is strongly preferred. An MBA or postgraduate study in merchandising or retail management is an advantage.
- At least 5+ years of Category Management experience, with at least 2 years of successfully owning a full category.
- Experience with planning strategic long term direction of a category.
- Strong analytical retail management skills are a must.
- Exceptional organization, outstanding attention to detail, and excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, are non-negotiables.
- Ability to easily establish a rapport with a wide variety of people from diverse backgrounds
- Strong background with vendor management & visual merchandising is a plus.
- Ability to handle stress appropriately, and deal with ambiguity will prove very beneficial.
And we couldn’t round this out without mentioning some of the perks of working here, right? Beyond free coffee and cafe drinks, you’ll also enjoy our comprehensive (and growing) benefits program, 401(k) with an employer match, discounts while shopping, and more!
*certain program & eligibility rules do apply*
Foxtrot is an equal opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify
Foxtrot provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us and everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.
Foxtrot participates in the federal government's E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility. To learn more about the E-Verify program, please click here.