Principal Data Scientist
Dropbox is a special place where we are all seeking to fulfill our mission to design a more enlightened way of working. We’re looking for innovative talent to join us on our journey. The words shared by our founders at the start of Dropbox still ring true today. Wouldn’t it be great if our working environment—and the tools we use—were designed with people’s actual needs in mind? Imagine if every minute at work were well spent—if we could focus and spend our time on the things that matter. This is possible, and Dropbox is connecting the dots. The nearly 3,000 Dropboxers around the world have helped make Dropbox a living workspace - the place where people come together and their ideas come to life. Our 700+ million global users have been some of our best salespeople, and they have helped us acquire customers with incredible efficiency. As a result, we reached a billion dollar revenue run rate faster than any software-as-a-service company in history. Dropbox is making the dream of a fulfilling and seamless work life a reality. We hope you’ll join us on the journey.
Our Product team advocates for our users and our business, setting the vision for our growing family of products. We use data, research, strategy, and empathy to guide multidisciplinary teams toward a common goal, balancing diverse perspectives and empowering our teams to do great work. As we scale globally, there’s plenty of space for you to grow alongside us and simplify life for millions of people around the world in team that always focuses on we, not I, and creates delightful products that are worthy of trust.
We're looking for a Principal Data Scientist to partner with growth, marketing, and product teams to answer key questions about how to grow revenue, optimize product, scale and monetize the business, and launch high-impact initiatives. We solve challenging problems and boost business growth through a deep understanding of user behaviors with applied analytics techniques and business insights. An ideal candidate should have robust knowledge of consumer lifecycle and behavior analysis, customer segmentation, digital campaigns, product analytics, growth & monetization analytics and business operations for a SaaS company.
As a Principal Data Scientist, you will be able to drive the future direction of the business and answer key strategic questions about revenue/user growth. You will join a team of top-tier data scientists and partner with growth & product teams to influence product roadmaps. You will lead to build a top-tier data-informed culture with a lot of focus on impact and execution!
- Serve as the data leader to drive incredibly high quality bar expected by both our customers and the broader Dropbox organization, through clear and repeatable data informed approach
- Create a culture of strong technical ownership, resulting in highly reliable products and services at scale
- Leverage data-driven insights to proactively identify most impactful opportunities, and inform future experimentation design and product roadmaps
- Perform analytical deep-dives to analyze user problems and opportunities, identify the hypothesis and design & execute experiments with great rigor and efficient data techniques
- Partner closely with leadership across all functions - Growth Product, Engineering, Design, Research, GTM, Customer success and Sales
- Partner with growth and finance teams in providing revenue metrics analyses including impact of large initiatives, input metrics sensitivities and opportunity projections
- Build the reliable, efficient, and scalable data foundations and execution standards, tools, documentation and operating processes for our organization’s long-term growth
- Translate complex concepts into implications for the business via excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Mentor and coach data scientists and create an effective working model between DS and XFNs
- Masters’ or above in quantitative discipline: Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- 10+ years experience of leveraging data-driven analysis to influence key business decisions and executives, preferably in a tech company
- 3+ years serving as a technical leader to work with data scientists, engineers, product managers, user researchers, and designers
- Proven track record of being able to work independently and proactively engage with business stakeholders with minimal direction & driver measurable business impact
- Ability to influence prioritization and execution of high impact projects effecting customer experience, monetization, and entire organization’s roadmap
- Ability to analyze large datasets and use data to inform product or business decision making, with a track record of driving directly measurable product or business impact
- Good Executive presence with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Previous experience building data driven programs and teams - proficient with SQL, Python and experiences with large datasets, deep understanding of statistical analysis & experiment design
- Previous experiences coaching and mentoring senior data scientists to scale the team productivity
Dropbox takes a number of factors into account when determining individual starting pay, including job and level they are hired into, location/metropolitan area, skillset, and peer compensation. We target most new hire offers between the minimum up to the middle of the range.
Salary/OTE is just one component of Dropbox’s total rewards package. All regular employees are also eligible for the corporate bonus program or a sales incentive (target included in OTE) as well as stock in the form of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs).
Current Salary/OTE Ranges (Subject to change):
• US Zone 1: $242,300 - $285,000 - $327,800.
• US Zone 2: $218,000 - $256,500 - $295,000.
• US Zone 3: $193,800 - $228,000 - $262,200.
Dropbox uses the zip code of an employee’s remote work location to determine which metropolitan pay range we use. Current US Zone locations are as follows:
• US Zone 1: San Francisco metro, New York City metro, or Seattle metro
• US Zone 2: Austin (TX) metro, Chicago metro, California (outside SF metro), Colorado, Connecticut (outside NYC metro), Delaware, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York (outside NYC metro), Oregon, Pennsylvania (outside NYC or DC metro), Washington (outside Seattle metro), Washington DC metro and West Virginia (DC metro)
• US Zone 3: All other US locations
Dropbox is committed to investing in the holistic health and wellbeing of all Dropboxers and their families. Our benefits and perks programs include, but are not limited to:
- Competitive medical, dental and vision coverage
- (US Only) Competitive 401(k) Plan with a generous company match and immediate vesting
- Flexible Time Off/Paid Time Off, paid holidays, Volunteer time off and more
- Protection Plans including; Life Insurance, Disability Insurance and Travel benefit plans
- Perks Allowance to be used on what matters most to you, whether that’s wellness, learning and development, food & groceries, and much more
- Parental benefits including; Parental Leave, Child and Adult Care, Day Care FSA (US Only), Fertility Benefits (US Only), Adoption and Surrogacy support and Lactation Support
Mental Health and Wellness benefits Free Dropbox space for your friends and family
Additional benefits details are available upon request.