Principal Product Designer
Dropbox is a special place where we are all seeking to fulfill our mission to design a more enlightened way of working. We’re looking for innovative talent to join us on our journey. The words shared by our founders at the start of Dropbox still ring true today. Wouldn’t it be great if our working environment—and the tools we use—were designed with people’s actual needs in mind? Imagine if every minute at work were well spent—if we could focus and spend our time on the things that matter. This is possible, and Dropbox is connecting the dots. The nearly 3,000 Dropboxers around the world have helped make Dropbox a living workspace - the place where people come together and their ideas come to life. Our 700+ million global users have been some of our best salespeople, and they have helped us acquire customers with incredible efficiency. As a result, we reached a billion dollar revenue run rate faster than any software-as-a-service company in history. Dropbox is making the dream of a fulfilling and seamless work life a reality. We hope you’ll join us on the journey.
Our Research & Design team crafts delightful experiences that make people's lives easier. We're a close-knit, collaborative group, guided by a highly iterative user-centered design process. Combining research, data, and thoughtful critique, we're discovering needs and solving fundamental problems that impact work and life for millions of people around the world.
As a Principal Product Designer you will discover, pitch, and lead projects. Your focus will be on transformation, and you’ll use design as a tool for honing product strategy decisions and ensuring Dropbox ships coherent and compelling experiences across products. Because work is project-based you will operate in ambiguous terrain and often navigate the best way to elevate a team’s existing knowledge and talent while tactfully pushing ideas and roadmaps. You’ll be tasked with wrangling the complex relationship between business need, customer need, and inspired design. You’ll be asked to lead work independently, win people over, and most of all be motivated by getting into the pixels and mentoring other designers to create incredible work.
- Work across the Dropbox organizational structure, bringing focus to key customer journeys across our lines of business
- Ensure excellent Product Design craft across the organization. Working with our talented Design Directors, Product Designers, Brand Leads, Research Leads and Content Designers to highlight and focus us down on sweating the right details for our customers
- Identify and drive company-level initiatives that have high value to our business and our customers.
- Problem Opportunity & Framing; Proactively discover company level opportunities whose justifications are extremely challenging and help bring clarity and insight to these problems.
- Ownership; Of specific design-led projects that you proactively seek out. As well as working with the VP Design to identify programs of work where your direction and expertise are needed to guide the work to a successful customer focussed outcome.
- Execution; Work across the entire design organization to ensure that the quality of craft execution and our design practices are to the high standards that our business and customers expect.
- Strategy; In close partnership with the VP Design and Design Leadership Team, help to execute and inform the ongoing evolution of the Design strategy and influence the Product strategies across our company.
- Impact; You are able to develop innovative patterns and systems that are durable, repeatable and set a new standard for interaction for the company.
- Key partners; Design Leadership Team, Extended Design Leadership Team, GMs, President.
- 10-15+ years experience in a senior Individual Contributor role.
- Experience building products in a remote or distributed team environment.
- Exceptional interaction and visual design skills.
- Demonstrated portfolio of shipping amazing customer experiences that have made a significant impact on business and customer metrics.
- Deep organization and execution capabilities, especially in areas of influence and collaboration with multiple stakeholder groups
- Excellent written/verbal communication - an engaging storyteller. Proven ability to hold conversations on design with executives and external industry leaders.
- Experience in design thinking methodologies to lead teams toward customer centered outcomes
Dropbox takes a number of factors into account when determining individual starting pay, including job and level they are hired into, location/metropolitan area, skillset, and peer compensation. We target most new hire offers between the minimum up to the middle of the range.
Salary/OTE is just one component of Dropbox’s total rewards package. All regular employees are also eligible for the corporate bonus program or a sales incentive (target included in OTE) as well as stock in the form of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs).
Current Salary/OTE Ranges (Subject to change):
• US Zone 1: $244,000 - $287,000 - $330,100.
• US Zone 2: $219,600 - $258,300 - $297,000.
• US Zone 3: $195,200 - $229,600 - $264,000.
Dropbox uses the zip code of an employee’s remote work location to determine which metropolitan pay range we use. Current US Zone locations are as follows:
• US Zone 1: San Francisco metro, New York City metro, or Seattle metro
• US Zone 2: Austin (TX) metro, Chicago metro, California (outside SF metro), Colorado, Connecticut (outside NYC metro), Delaware, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York (outside NYC metro), Oregon, Pennsylvania (outside NYC or DC metro), Washington (outside Seattle metro), Washington DC metro and West Virginia (DC metro)
• US Zone 3: All other US locations
Dropbox is committed to investing in the holistic health and wellbeing of all Dropboxers and their families. Our benefits and perks programs include, but are not limited to:
- Competitive medical, dental and vision coverage
- (US Only) Competitive 401(k) Plan with a generous company match and immediate vesting
- Flexible Time Off/Paid Time Off, paid holidays, Volunteer time off and more
- Protection Plans including; Life Insurance, Disability Insurance and Travel benefit plans
- Perks Allowance to be used on what matters most to you, whether that’s wellness, learning and development, food & groceries, and much more
- Parental benefits including; Parental Leave, Child and Adult Care, Day Care FSA (US Only), Fertility Benefits (US Only), Adoption and Surrogacy support and Lactation Support
Mental Health and Wellness benefits Free Dropbox space for your friends and family
Additional benefits details are available upon request.