Senior UI Artist
ClassDojo's goal is to accelerate humanity’s progress, by giving every child on Earth an education they love.
We started by building a network that connects teachers, children, and families. ClassDojo’s flagship app is the #1 communication app connecting K-8 teachers, children, and families, globally. They use it to share what’s happening throughout the day through photos, videos, messages, and activities. It is actively used at an unprecedented scale: in over 95% of US schools, reaching ~51 million children in ~180 countries, with a team of just ~200 people ). We are now beginning to use this network to give kids the best learning experiences in the world, far beyond those a standard school can provide.
We hire for talent density. Our team comprises the most talented, entrepreneurial, and innovative teammates from around the world, with experience in education and large scale consumer internet companies, including Instagram, Netflix, Dropbox, Stripe, Uber, Y Combinator, and more. We’re building a company where the most talented people want to work. We believe you’ll do the best work of your life here—and you’ll pioneer the future of education, too.
What you’ll do:
You’ll be working with our internal game dev team on Dojo Islands — a closed, safe virtual space for classmates and friends to collaborate and learn through play. With millions of kids already on the platform, the game is "live-by-default" — we work iteratively and practice continuous delivery/deployment, with the ability to ship updates multiple times a week. We work very closely with kids to find the fun, and with teachers to find the learning. However, we aren’t “edutainment” — we’re striving to build a game with heart, soul, and a point of view, because when those things are missing, kids notice.
- Create beautiful user interface assets, animations, and visual effects for menus, HUDs, icons, and other interactive elements
- Work with our art and design teams to develop and maintain a UI style guide and documentation to ensure consistent and high-quality UI across the game
- Collaborate with game designers and developers to understand gameplay and technical requirements to implement and ship in-game UI
- Provide feedback and contribute to the overall artistic direction of our game, ensuring that the UI aligns with our brand and target audiences
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including game designers, developers, and artists to iterate on UI designs based on user feedback and playtesting
You will be a match if:
- You have a strong portfolio showing expertise in UI art and design principles, including examples of previous work on games
- You have excellent visual design skills, including composition, color theory, typography, and iconography
- You have a solid understanding of UX design principles, player behavior, and player feedback
- You are comfortable learning new tools as they’re being developed and providing feedback to help shape them
- You are able to work effectively with cross-functional team members in a remote environment
- You can provide clear, diplomatic, and candid artistic critique, both verbally and in writing
- You have experience implementing UI in PlayCanvas
- You have experience implementing UI in HTML
- You have a passion for kids games and education
- You have knowledge of accessibility guidelines/best practices and have experience implementing them into your work
 Some more context:
- ClassDojo's $125m Series D (Forbes) and Sam’s note about it.
- ClassDojo is one of Y Combinator’s Top 100 companies
- ClassDojo's Second Act Comes with First Profits (TechCrunch) and Sam's note about it.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are happy to accommodate any disabilities or special needs. We are a distributed company, so we hire regardless of location, as long as you are willing to have significant hours overlap with one of the Americas time zones.
Something looks off?