Payroll and Benefits Manager
Accounting & Finance
Remote · United States
Posted on Friday, May 5, 2023
Who We Are:
The Chartbeat People & Culture team is a small group of collaborative, hands-on, and empathetic People people, dedicated to providing our internal customers - our employees - with an exceptional employee experience. We are hardworking and professional, but also fun and approachable. This is a new position reporting to the VP, People & Culture, and it will initially focus on integrating and streamlining the payroll, benefits, compensation, and compliance systems and procedures across Chartbeat and its newly acquired companies, Tubular Labs and Lineup Systems.
Our ideal candidate has experience in small to mid-size tech or tech-adjacent organizations and is a personable, positive, operationally-driven People Operations professional who enjoys supporting the organization’s biggest asset, its people, in meeting their compensation and benefits needs. Experience integrating HR systems and procedures, especially as a result of M&A, is highly desirable, but the Payroll and Benefits Manager is also a builder and grower of HR processes.
What You'll Do:
- Responsible for the full-cycle payroll process, including processing payroll, bonuses, commissions, tax payments, insurance deductions, PTO, Reimbursements, etc
- Partners with PEOs for US semi-monthly and International monthly payrolls
- Maintains, reviews, and audits payroll processing procedures to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions, including changes to salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions
- Responsible for designing and maintaining payroll-related policies, forms, and procedures for the company
- Conducts payroll and benefits onboarding for all new hires
- Partners with the VP, People & Culture to develop and implement strategies and initiatives related to employee benefits
- Acts as the main point of contact for all internal and external benefits-related inquiries
- Maintains relationships with service providers, insurance companies, benefits consultant/broker, employees, and beneficiaries to facilitate proper and complete utilization of benefits
- Responsible for thorough technical knowledge of the workings of group insurance plans, plan documents, summary plan descriptions, and other insurance mechanisms
- Maintains knowledge of best practices and new technologies in benefits administration
- Partners with the VP, People & Culture to build equitable and data driven policies around compensation
- Develop and maintain compensation bands across the organization
- Lead participation in salary surveys and continuously benchmark compensation data to ensure competitiveness and equity
- Conduct regular pay equity analyses and develop modifications to compensation bands as needed
- Researches, monitors, and interprets tax regulations, FLSA, DOL, etc., and assists with ongoing analysis to identify and address potential risk areas
- Oversee benefit plan compliance by partnering with VP, People & Culture, PEOs, and benefits brokers to ensure all benefit plans meet federal and state requirements
- Drives key compliance initiatives around local, state, and federal requirements for new state entry, including leave laws, paid sick time, and auditing the compliance of the company’s benefit programs
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations and recommended best practices; reviews policies and procedures to maintain compliance
- Partners with People & Culture team members to monitor and ensure compliance with the company's legal obligations regarding FMLA, ADA, EEO/Affirmative Action, Workers' Compensation, and other employment laws.
What You'll Bring:
- Minimum 5 years of experience with multi-state US payroll and benefit administration
- 3+ years of experience in compensation
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field
- Technical knowledge of payroll systems, PEOs, tax registration, HR-related laws, and industry-specific resources
- Experience implementing new payroll and benefits systems or PEOs
- Very high degree of discretion and good judgment
- Self-motivated and positive, with a strong drive to problem solve and present solutions
- Organized and process oriented, with the ability to clearly and concisely document policies and procedures
- People person and relationship builder, maintaining positive, effective relationships across all levels of the organization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skillsStrong technical skills, including Microsoft Office programs, Google Workspace, Zoom/Meets, etc.
Not Required but Nice to Have!
- Knowledge of and experience with international employee base (UK, Canada, France, Ukraine, Singapore)
- Payroll or HR certification
- Experience integrating HR systems following M&A
Compensation and Benefits
We are proud to offer our team members a competitive compensation plan that includes stock options for all full-time employees and a 401K program with an immediately vesting match.
401K (company match 100% of the first 3% and 50% of the next 2%).
Health, Dental, Vision
Pre-tax transit cards
$30/month book stipend
$250/year learning and development
The pay range for this position is $115-135K per year. Please note that the foregoing compensation information is a good-faith assessment associated with this position only and is provided pursuant to the applicable law.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
At Chartbeat we strive to create and continually grow as a company where all employees are able to be their authentic selves. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, and retaining employees from different backgrounds, viewpoints, and experiences. Our strength is our diversity and we are dedicated to continuously reflect upon, and evolve our efforts to maintain a diverse, equitable and inclusive ecosystem.
Equal Opportunity Employment Statement
Chartbeat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.