Manager, Workforce Planning
We acknowledge that Bench is founded on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between managing their books and running their businesses.
Our mission is to help every business owner thrive, by providing financial insight and peace of mind in one seamless platform. From creatives to chiropractors, Bench helps thousands of small business owners and entrepreneurs master their financial lives. Because understanding your finances should be three things: simple, effortless, and affordable.We’re growing fast, and we’re looking for exceptional people to join us on this incredible journey. Check out our culture guide to learn more about what it’s like to work at Bench and read more about our business here!
About the role
Bench’s product is supported by accounting associates who each hold a portfolio of customers. Accounting associates provide a variety of tasks for customers within the Bench app such as: connecting accounts, categorizing transactions, completing adjustments, and preparing year end financial statements. As customers subscribe and churn from the Bench product and as accounting associates become more efficient in servicing their existing portfolio, the available capacity of a given bookkeeper consistently changes. The Workforce Planning Team collaborates closely with Operations Leadership and Recruitment Teams to manage incoming hiring needs while minimizing excess capacity within accounting associate portfolios.
In this role, you will be leading a team that supports both the administration and analysis of workforce planning. You will work hand in hand with Operations leaders, recruitment, training, and other teams to ensure capacity drivers are consistent and capacity decisions achieve financial targets. You operate as a player-coach, helping develop the skill sets of individual contributors and ensuring that they have the knowledge, abilities, and tools available to successfully support workforce planning operations.
What you’ll get up to:
- Own the successful operations of resource management, capacity planning, workforce planning, customer assignment, and portfolio management
- Accountable to Operations leadership to provide effective tools and support to enable capacity planning decision making
- Manage the performance of the individual contributors within the capacity planning function
- Strategize with Operations leadership to plan the future of capacity planning design as Bench iteratively becomes more automated/product-led
- Assess and make changes to the resourcing for the capacity planning function
- Collaborate with other functional leaders to support improvements in the capacity planning function
What you'll need:
- 2-3+ years of experience in a leadership role, developing highly autonomous individual contributors and establishing teams and processes
- 5+ years experience working with capacity planning, workforce planning, forecasting or similar field
- Proven ability to develop and manage analysts and administration staff
- Strong analytical proficiency, backed with application (you must have previous experience using SQL, Tableau and Excel/Google Sheets)
- Strong communicator who can tackle cross-functional work, building relationships and influence
It could be an even better fit if you have:
- Prior operations experience in SaaS process and strategy, with experience working with retail, call center, or similar front-line customer service department
- A strong curiosity and growth focus, with a track record of working independently with incomplete informations
What you'll get:
- At Bench we share information freely and openly whenever possible. The salary range for this role is $96,800 - $121,100 per year, depending on experience
- In addition, we offer an extended benefits package that includes paid vacation, paid flex days, stock options, and full health, dental, and vision.
- You’ll get access to Inkblot Therapy’s Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP) that offers counseling and support, for you and family members, as well as professional development coaching, financial advice, legal advice and much more.
- Bench has a number of Affinity Groups - groups of people who have shared identities and experiences! The purpose of these groups is to support underrepresented Benchmates and amplify their voices.
- If you live in BC’s Lower Mainland, you have the opportunity to work at home and in our downtown office location, depending on your preference! For some roles, we do require folks to be in the office regularly. We’ll be sure to outline expectations during the interview process.
- For folks working fully remote, we will provide additional solutions to bring teams together for collaboration and connection.
- Whether you get to use the office or if you work remotely, you’ll have access to our Home Office Setup Fund to ensure that you have everything you need to work comfortably from home, from day one.
- You’ll have the opportunity to work from somewhere other than your home province for up to 3 months, within a 12 month period.
Everyone has their own unique talents. Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, tell us why you’d be a great fit for this role in your application.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. If you are selected for an interview and require support during the process, including disability accommodation, we'll give you the opportunity to tell us when we contact you.