Chief Financial Officer
We acknowledge that Bench is founded on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between managing their books and running their businesses.
Our mission is to help every business owner thrive, by providing financial insight and peace of mind in one seamless platform. From creatives to chiropractors, Bench helps thousands of small business owners and entrepreneurs master their financial lives. Because understanding your finances should be three things: simple, effortless, and affordable.We’re growing fast, and we’re looking for exceptional people to join us on this incredible journey. Check out our culture guide to learn more about what it’s like to work at Bench and read more about our business here!
About the role:
Bench is on a mission to help every business owner thrive and we’re seeking an experienced Chief Financial Officer to lead our teams through our next phase of growth as a multi-product company. A leading bookkeeping and tax platform for small business owners in a $31B total addressable market, we are looking for a strategic leader and experienced operator who excels at scaling through simplicity, dependability, clarity of insights and relentless execution.
Reporting to the CEO, you will have the opportunity to guide a high-trajectory technology company and make an indelible mark on the future of small business financial technology.
What you’ll get up to:
- Scale world-class Finance, Accounting, Investor Relations, Business Operations, Legal and Facilities capabilities to support Bench’s growth aspirations as a platform.
- Attract up-and-coming and diverse talent that will be empowered through your mentorship, professional development and technology to reach their full potential and push the boundaries of what is possible.
- Be a visible company leader, and a strategic partner to our operating teams, driving the planning and execution of our growth, path to profitability, and mission to help every business owner thrive.
- In conjunction with our Controller, take our Procure-to-Pay and Order-to-Cash operations to the next level through reporting automation, Robotic Process Automation (RPA) and process mining.
- Partner with our VP of Finance to lead Bench’s financial planning and analysis, budgeting and rolling forecasting processes, resulting in the predictability of our financials and a maximized working capital.
- Prepare and present financial reports to the Board of Directors and support our Audit Committee as necessary, including passing our annual audits with flying colors.
- Manage the company’s relationships with banks, investors, and other financial institutions, including fundraising efforts.
- Stay current with changes in financial regulations and ensure the company is in compliance and takes advantage of all opportunities and programs to support its growth.
What you'll need:
- 15+ years of professional experience and a proven track record as a CFO or Head of Finance at multiple leading SaaS/FinTech companies that scaled to $100M+ in annual revenue, able to effectively partner with the CEO/leadership team and meet the reporting requirements of A-list private investors and/or public markets
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or related field with experience working at Big 4 accounting firms or Big 3 management consultancies
- Repeated successes building tech-enabled, modern Finance and Accounting organizations, transforming Procure-to-Pay and Order-to-Cash operations through reporting automation, RPA and process mining
- Successfully led growth rounds fundraising efforts from Series D through IPO
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles and financial regulations, including revenue accounting, international tax accounting and FOREX management
- Expertise in cash and treasury management and managing banking relationships
- A track record of successful M&A transactions and integrations
- Servant leadership skills and executive presence required to motivate and align our teams around our mission, drive sustainable revenue growth, margin expansion and ultimately predictability of financial results
- Experience building and leading diverse and inclusive teams
- Humble but confident. A master at your craft with a can-do attitude, a proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet tight deadlines
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
It could be an even better fit if you have:
- Experience with managing legal and facilities teams
- Experience taking a company public and ensuring SOX compliance
What you'll get:
- At Bench we share information freely and openly whenever possible. The base salary range for this role is $265,740 to $332,176 based on experience and qualifications. In addition to base salary, we also offer an attractive bonus structure to reward exceptional performance. This bonus structure is designed to offer the opportunity to earn additional compensation based on contributions to the company's success.
- In addition, we offer an extended benefits package that includes paid vacation, paid flex days, stock options, and full health, dental, and vision.
- You’ll get access to Inkblot Therapy’s Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP) that offers counseling and support, for you and family members, as well as professional development coaching, financial advice, legal advice and much more.
- If you live in BC’s Lower Mainland, you have the opportunity to work at home or in our downtown office location, depending on your preference! If you’re interested in remote only, we currently focus our hiring efforts in the following provinces: British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia.
- We provide solutions to bring all teams together for collaboration and connection.
- Regardless of how many days you decide to visit the office, you’ll have access to our Home Office Setup Fund to ensure that you have everything you need to work comfortably from home, from day one.
- You’ll have the opportunity to work from somewhere other than your home province for up to 90 days per calendar year.
Everyone has their own unique talents. Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, tell us why you’d be a great fit for this role in your application.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. If you are selected for an interview and require support during the process, including disability accommodation, we'll give you the opportunity to tell us when we contact you.
Something looks off?