Senior Data Engineer
Senior Data Engineer
Philippines / Full-Time / US Hours Flexible
Here at BARK, we love dogs and their people. We’re looking to make all dogs happy throughout the entire world (we’re not kidding). Think Disney for dogs -- we make magic for dogs and their people through our products, events, and experiences.
Our ambition level is high, the opportunity is huge, and our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly-themed subscription of all-natural treats and clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 70 million toys and treats to dogs across the world and use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives and ways to make magic between dogs and their people. We’ve since expanded into other offerings as well, as we aim to become THE Dog Company for every family with a four-legged, belly-scratch-loving, interspecies family member.
Meet the Data, Analytics & Machine Learning (DAML) Team, a squad of professionals dedicated to transforming how BARK leverages data to create delightful experiences for dogs and their humans. Comprising data scientists, data engineers, and BI professionals, we're a close-knit family united by our passion for innovation, creativity, and, of course, our love for dogs.
Here's what sets us apart:
Innovation: We employ cutting-edge techniques to analyze and manipulate data, driving key business decisions and enhancing customer experiences.
Collaboration: Creativity meets collaboration in our team, where data-driven insights are paired with dog-driven enthusiasm.
Culture: We celebrate our unique quirks and talents, fostering a diverse, lively, and supportive environment where everyone has a voice.
This high visibility role offers an opportunity to join our dynamic squad, working hand-in-paw with partners throughout BARK to deliver science-driven improvements across the business. If you're someone who thrives in a diverse, lively, and supportive environment, you might just be the perfect fit to join our pack!
WHO WE’RE SNIFFING FOR
We’re looking for a highly motivated Senior Data Engineer to play a vital role in BARK's data-driven decision-making process. Your proficiency in Python, expertise in managing third-party data ETLs (Extract, Transform, Load), and experience with data orchestration tools will significantly shape our data handling capabilities. This role will have a broad impact across the business, influencing areas ranging from marketing to product development to finance. You will combine technical prowess, leadership, collaboration, and innovation to enhance customer experiences, align with organizational goals, and make a tangible impact within our unique dog-loving ecosystem.
Code Quality & Best Practices: Set high standards for Python and SQL, ensuring quality, performance, and security.Data Integration: Design and refine advanced data pipelines using Airflow (ETL), ensuring efficient collection, cleaning, and processing of data from a variety of sources.
- Data Quality: Monitor, troubleshoot, and optimize performance of data platforms to meet SLAs. Identify and implement best practices to ensure system scalability and reliability.
- Project/Task Management: Effectively manage and document technical requirements in data engineering projects and collaborate with stakeholders
- Collaboration: Collaborate with teams and coordinate across them to design, create, test, implement and maintain technical solutions ensuring systems meet business requirements and industry best practices for data quality and privacy.
- Strategy: Independently identify problems, strategize solutions, and spearhead projects that have measurable impact from ideation to execution.
- Data Governance: Champion data stewardship across the company by establishing and consistently documenting data governance practices, covering metadata management and data lineage.
- Machine Learning and Analytics: Collaborate closely with Data Scientists, BI Analysts and Machine Learning Engineers to support their data infrastructure needs and provide for support of models in production.
- Stay Current & Innovate: Regularly explore, evaluate, and adopt emerging technologies, tools, and methodologies in data engineering to improve our data infrastructure.
- Data Engineering: 4+ years' experience in data engineering and architecture with a focus on data warehousing, ETL at scale, distributed systems and cloud computing.
- Python Programming: 5+ years of hands-on experience writing readable, modular Python code. Proficiency in data manipulation, analysis, and algorithm development is required.
- Data Handling: Proven ability to handle varied and complex data, including experience working with large datasets, data cleaning, preprocessing, and transformation.
- Cloud Platforms: Moderate knowledge of AWS cloud services: EC2, Redshift. Moderate knowledge of GCP cloud services: Datastream, Dataproc, Dataflow, BigQuery, Cloud Pub/Sub, CloudSQL, Kubernetes.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Communication Skills: Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills, with the ability to clearly and concisely communicate results and concepts to relevant stakeholders..
- Interpersonal Skills: Collaboration and teamwork, comfortable leading projects, coordinating peers and mentoring those around you.
- Adaptability: Strong problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- Attention to Detail: Sharp technical mind with meticulous attention to detail and commitment to quality
- Innovation: Demonstrated passion for innovation, research and implementation of new technologies and practices that can enhance our data systems.
- SQL Mastery: Ability to write complex SQL and perform data manipulation across multiple data sources. Redshift, BigQuery, Postgres experience is a plus.
- Linux/Bash Skills: Moderate grasp of bash/Linux, including scripting and system operations.
Kubernetes/Docker: Familiarity with Kubernetes and Docker is a plus. Hosted ETL: Stitch, Fivetran a plus
This position is a full-time remote position. We offer additional health coverage through an HMO, a generous PTO policy, employee recognition initiatives, in-person and virtual events, and more.
At BARK, we believe that diversity fuels innovation and creates a richer experience for our employees and customers. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Therefore, we actively encourage applications from individuals of all races, ethnicities, religions, genders, ages, sexual orientations, disabilities, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our team unique. If you share our passion for dogs and are excited about working in an inclusive environment where your individuality is celebrated, we want to hear from you! Experience with dogs is a plus, but all backgrounds and experiences are valued here.
- The base salary range for this position is ₱1,085,100 - ₱1,356,371
**This compensation range is based on BARKs good faith estimate as of the date of this posting and may be modified in the future. Actual pay for this position will depend on a variety of variables including location, travel, internal equity, experience, education, skills and expertise.