Quick Take: Axios is dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We are hiring a Politics Editor!
Why it Matters: We’re looking for a talented player/coach with the metabolism for editing breaking news, and the sources and vision to help drive Hill and elections coverage.
Details: They will be a bridge to our newsdesk and will help steer our congressional and election coverage. They will support our reporters by crafting agenda-setting stories and guiding our coverage. This position reports to the deputy managing editor for politics.
Go deeper: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios’ mission. Candidates must demonstrate the ability to break stories, spot trends for longer-range coverage, and convey contextual meaning to developments on the beat. Ideal candidates will also have the following skills:
- A deep understanding of the political landscape, especially elections and Capitol Hill.
- A passion for political coverage and trends
- Able to drive the conversation with conceptual scoops and trend stories
- Ability to collaborate closely and effectively with internal and external audiences
- Experience reporting and editing
- Interest and experience in managing junior reporters
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed
What Axios brings to the table besides salary:
- 401(k) with employer match
- Robust PPO and High Deductible health insurance options on the Blue Cross Blue Shield network
- Employer Health Savings Account (HSA) contribution for the high deductible health plan option
- Dental and vision coverage
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus holidays
- One mental health day per quarter
- Annual learning and development stipend
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services through Headspace
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Personal health advocacy resources through HealthAdvocate
- Inclusive fertility, hormonal health and family forming benefits through Carrot Fertility
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
- A strong and positive work environment
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.