Director, People Operations & Compliance
Quick take: Axios is a growth-stage media company dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning content in an audience-first format. We are looking for an experienced People Operations leader who can be a strategic thought leader and can execute on that vision.
The context: This role reports to the VP, People Operations. The People Operations group encompasses four functions: Employee Experience, Total Rewards, HRIS & Analytics and People Operations & Compliance. This leader will own policy creation and maintenance, process optimization, immigration and relocation, HR compliance, leave programs, and project management. The Director, People Operations & Compliance does not currently have any direct reports, although it’s possible that this could become a people leader role in the future.
Go deeper: In this role, you will make an impact to Axios through the following responsibilities:
- Regularly evaluates effectiveness of existing employee programs and makes recommendations for improvement
- Partners with Payroll, Talent Acquisition, Talent Management, Employee Experience, and other teams within the business to map processes, find ways to make them more efficient, and get alignment on roles and responsibilities (all while creating an amazing employee experience!)
- Ensures that Axios is compliant with relevant federal, state, and local labor requirements; conducts regular compliance audits and makes recommendations
- Manages our employee handbook; creates and updates policies as needed
- Assists candidates and employees with visa sponsorships and partners with outside counsel on immigration matters
- Manages our PTO and leave programs
- Contributes regularly to cross-functional People team projects; regularly takes the lead with project management, keeping the team organized and on track
- Serves as a subject matter expert and thought partner on core HR topics
The details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios' mission and have the following skills:
- 7+ years of experience in People Operations with at least 2 years of experience in a leadership role
- Prior responsibility over HR compliance, such as I-9s, training, FLSA, EEO-1
- Experience leading cross-functional projects as both a project manager and subject matter expert
- Highly collaborative mindset with a strong track record building successful working relationships with cross-functional team members
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to communicate both qualitative and quantitative data effectively
- Initiative, resilience, precision, and flexibility amidst a high volume of time-sensitive requests and projects
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Base salary for this role is in the range of $135,000-$145,000 and is dependent on numerous factors, including but not limited to location, work experience, and skills.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.