Director of Local Social
Quick take: Axios is a thriving, fast-growing media organization dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news in an audience-first format. With newsletter teams in 30 cities across the U.S., Axios is adding a highly entrepreneurial team to grow the organic social media presence for Axios Local. We are looking for an editorial leader and manager who can drive innovation and take ownership of this expansion.
Why it matters: This editor will oversee the strategy and implementation of Axios Local’s social media channels which serve as an entry point for readers who are new to Axios and Axios Local.
- They will be hiring a team dedicated to launching and sustaining new channels on Instagram with a focus on creator-first, local lifestyle content.
- Working closely with the national Axios audience team and Local leadership, this editor will be based out of the D.C. or NY offices, will manage a remote team located throughout the country and report to the VP of Audience.
Go deeper: We are looking for someone who understands social media growth, local news, influencers/micro-influencers, and creators more broadly. They are skilled operators and excited to take on the following responsibilities:
- Set the strategy and goals for our local social expansion with VP of Audience.
- Manage a team of social creator/hosts in each selected city.
- Edit the work of the group and ensure editorial standards on the accounts.
- Help conceive daily and long-term stories that originate on social first. Accurately transform existing stories from newsletters and the web.
- Shape how Axios Local evolves across social, web and newsletters in partnership with Local editors/reporters, product managers, and leadership.
- Collaborate with the Audience team and wider organization on adapting Axios “Smart Brevity” style to short-form, vertical video.
- Stay abreast of analytics of the accounts, develop KPIs and report out the metrics for execs and editorial leadership.
- Develop a strategy to scale beyond the initial set of accounts.
The details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios’ mission and have most of the following skills:
- Experience managing a team. Experience starting up a new team is a plus.
- Demonstrated, measurable success in growing video-driven social posts for platforms like Instagram, TikTok, and YouTube.
- Experience working with creators and social influencers in the lifestyle or adjacent space.
- Exceptional collaborator with experience working across teams to produce quality content.
- Demonstrated wide knowledge of local news and how national storylines intersect with local storytelling.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund,” which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Classpass discount
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Starting salary for this role is in the range of $110,000 - $145,000 and is dependent on numerous factors, including but not limited to location, work experience, and skills. This range does not include other compensation benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.