Software Engineer 2, Front End
COVID-19: Allbirds requires all US-based Corporate employees who enter an Allbirds-owned or operated Corporate facility to demonstrate proof of receiving a COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of their employment, subject to exemptions for sincerely held religious beliefs, or valid medical reasons.
Who is Allbirds?
At Allbirds, we believe in using business as a force for good. We’re a global footwear and apparel brand with roots in New Zealand and headquarters in San Francisco. Since 2016, we’ve been on a mission to prove that comfort, design, and sustainability aren’t mutually exclusive. Our commitment to creating better things in a better way is fueled by a belief that the fashion industry needs to focus less on flash and more on thoughtfulness. We're a certified B Corporation, meaning we meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. We’re dedicated to making the most sustainable products we can using premium natural materials - designed for life’s everyday adventures. In fact, TIME 100 named us for being one of the most innovative companies. Already calling our first shoe, the Wool Runners, the most comfortable in the world, and there is much more to come.
We take our craft seriously, but not ourselves. As part of the Allbirds family, you can look forward to team lunches, product tests, fun company events, inspiring guest speakers, comfortable shoes, sheep puns, and lots of creative ideas.
Where we need help
As a direct-to-consumer product company with a loyal customer base, we need your help to make our omnichannel mobile, web, and retail experiences as delightful as our world-renowned shoes. Every touch point that our fans have with Allbirds must represent what we stand for: Better Things in a Better Way. This is an exciting and challenging opportunity for an engineer to help us build magical moments for our customers to experience the Allbirds brand through immersive, beautiful, and engaging mobile, web, and retail experiences. To do this at scale, you will also help rebuild our front-end technology foundation with the right technology, tools and process to enable fast, iterative releases with world-class quality.
What does the job entail?
- Create visually stunning web and campaign experiences that inspire our customers and the world to think in a better way
- Improve and rethink all aspects of our shopping experience across all channels, including our website, retail stores, emails, etc.
- Work with the Allbirds Marketing team to plan new product launches and campaigns
- Help make key technology decisions to build our core web capabilities
- Build foundational web components that can be reused and extended
What kind of person are we looking for?
- You care as much about great design and interaction as much as you care about great code
- You embrace challenges and do not compromise on building great user experiences
- You strive for simplicity both in code design and user interface design and interaction
- You have extensive experience designing and implementing beautiful and elegant front-end web applications (send us some examples)
- You believe your code is only as good as the tests you write for it
- You believe you can and are excited to build anything you or a designer can dream of
- You are curious, always tinkering with new technologies and frameworks
- You enjoy pushing the boundaries of what technology can do
- You also hear all sides of a debate and adapt to new perspectives that emerge from it
More practical skills needed:
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent
- 2+ years of industry experience
- Experience with JS testing frameworks
- Strong HTML, CSS skills; Sass or equivalent
- Experience in analyzing and optimizing front end performance
- Front-end tooling / build system experience (ex. Webpack, Grunt)
- Experience with node and npm
What do we offer?
- Competitive salary + equity
- 50% Discount on Allbirds Products
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
Allbirds is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Allbirds policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, marital or veteran status, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member), sexual orientation, pregnancy, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits discrimination based on a perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. All such discrimination is unlawful.
Something looks off?